Saturday, July 17, 2010

Perfect Popcorn

This sounds stupidly simple, but I have been trying to make good popcorn for years & I've never really succeeded. And I really love popcorn, so it was becoming an issue for me. I actually gave up trying some time last year & started buying packets of the 'Natural' flavoured microwave popcorn (another ninja vegan product).

I just didn't feel comfortable with this - I really don't like supporting mega-companies (Uncle Tobys are owned by Nestle) & I also don't like eating too much food with artificial flavourings. So I was excited to see a segment on Better Homes & Gardens a few weeks ago on how to make popcorn.

The trick is to use oil (not butter or a mix of the two, as I've previously been advised); and to make sure it's hot enough before you add the kernels. To check this, add a couple of kernels at the start - when they both pop, the oil is ready. I use about 1 TBS of canola oil to 1/2 cup kernels - this makes a huge bowl, enough for 2 or 1 really hungry person. When the popping slows down to 1 or 2 per second, turn the heat off, add dabs of Nuttelex to the popcorn, then put the lid back on & wait for it to melt, about 1min (you can leave this out if you're being healthy). Add salt & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment