Sunday, December 4, 2011

About Life, Rozelle

So I've found myself living in Rozelle. It's a lovely part of Sydney & the walk down Darling St through Balmain offers hours of potential eating & shopping. Of course, the first thing I did was check out the vegan eating options. The obvious one is Harvest Vegetarian, which is top of my 'must try' list. Unfortunately I'm also currently unemployed & expensive meals are temporarily off the agenda.

But, day 1 at my new home & I was still full of optimism about my employment prospects, so splashed out on lunch at About Life, Rozelle's organic supermarket. Like many organic stores it has a cafe attached, with a fair amount of vegan offerings on the menu.

I chose one of the breakfast options - the Scrambled Tofu.
This was different from the usual cafe fare. Soy sauce was absent from the sauce, which made me happy, and the tofu was instead flavoured with turmeric, cumin (I think) & something else I couldn't put my finger on. I actually enjoyed the toast most of all - thick & crusty & wholesomely satisfying.

Being part of a supermarket, there's not a whole load of atmosphere, though out on the verandah it is quite pleasant. I'd recommend it as a good spot for a quick lunch or snack, rather than a destination.

About Life
605 Darling St, Rozelle (they also have another store in Bondi Junction)
Mon-Thur 6am-8pm; Fri 6am-7pm; Sat & Sun 8am-5pm
http://aboutlife.com.au

5 comments:

  1. Ack, I always get there too late for breakfast. You'd think I could haul arse from Glebe to Rozelle before 3pm, but it's just never happened! And the bagel place nearby closed down and became a butchery too :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about the bagel place... do you have any recommendations about vegan-friendly places in Glebe other than Badde Manors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're no longer living in Melbourne? I ask because I like to keep the planet.vegmel.com list up to date :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danni, in Sydney for now, there's a slim chance I'll move back to Melbourne for work, but probably best to take me off the list & I'll let you know if I'm back in town :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok :) Let me know if you do! editor@vegmel.com

    ReplyDelete