Thursday, April 3, 2008

Collaboration

Wikis are another technology I feel relatively OK with. I think they are an ideal way for organisation's procedures manuals to be published - particularly well suited to location-specific procedures rather than formal policies.

I quite like the SJCPL Subject Guides wiki, this is another excellent way to apply the technology to libraries. Wisconsin Heritage Online doesn't feel like a wiki at first (purely a design thing), but I can see the collaboration at work. I didn't really like the design of the Mint Museum wiki (they really need to shrink the fonts), but the idea is nice. A quick browse through showed that there hasn't been much collaboration on the pages - the 6 I checked had all been created by the Museum staff with no subsequent editing. I guess it could be a work in progress.

Library Success has a lot of good information on it for us librarians, I will definitely explore this one a bit further. I really like BookLovers wiki by Princeton Public Library - I think a wiki is a much better way to organise a readers advisory site than a blog, because it is inherently more organised (and organisation is, of course, incredibly important to me).

Montana History wiki also looks great. There is certainly a lot of information in there. The only thing that I think needs to happen is the resources lists need to be subdivided by topic, as some of them are way too long to be useful.

Finally, Wookieepedia is just cool, and testamount to the fact that people will always contribute much more readily to pop culture collaborations than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment