Thursday, September 15, 2011

Self-catering in Italy

I knew once I started researching vegan eating opportunities in Italy that my choices were going to be limited. Compared to other countries, there are few vegetarian listings on sites like Happy Cow, and my search of blogs didn't uncover much.

Despite all that, I've actually been eating quite well for the last 2 weeks. I've adopted the 'keep it simple' attitude and have been using a mix of self-catering, buffet breakfasts and the occasional meal out.

In Milano, with the luxury of a full kitchen in C's apartment, we were able to prepare meals like this - penne with fresh pesto. So easy to make - we ground up some almonds & walnuts, added finely chopped garlic, a slurp of olive oil & tore up a bunch of fresh basil & some spinach leaves. Delizioso!
For breakfast (when it's not provided by the hostel) and lunch/snacks throughout the day, it's a whole heap of fruit & some almonds for protein.
Check out the price on these bananas - 60c for 5! I've been eating tons of them because they're so cheap - I'll probably have withdrawals when I get back to Australia.
In hostels with a kitchen it's easy to prepare fresh salads. The produce here is so fresh & tasty - especially the tomatoes. I have never tasted tomatoes like these in Australia. This salad is simply mixed leaves, tomatoes & chickpeas, dressed with olive oil & salt/pepper.
Not being able to afford eating out every day has actually been a great chance for me to get healthy & do a mini-detox. I don't feel deprived of anything, plus the heat over here means that eating heavier, cooked meals just isn't appetising.

No comments:

Post a Comment