Monday, August 29, 2011

An airport vegan

Here I am, hanging out at Gate 36, Sydney International Airport, about to board a flight to Italy. Times have changed & I love that I can now sit here & choose from three different free wifi providers.

Sydney airport has been upgraded recently. I'm not into the shiny brand name stores they have, but I was pleased with the bigger food court. I was actually able to get a pretty decent vegan meal before my flight.

I skipped the antipasti & primo, diving straight into secondo, which is this fetching mixed salad pack from Sumo Salad.

It's a mix of Lentil Tabbouleh & Roasted Pumpkin with Chickpeas.
I really enjoyed these salads - I could taste that they had been made fresh that day. The seasoning was pretty simple too - lemon juice for the tabbouleh & sesame oil for the pumpkin from memory.

From secondo I skipped to dolce - here we have the 'Lychee Crush' from Boost Juice.
I haven't seen these on the menu before (not that I frequent Boost Juice - I think I've been once in the last year), but I still wanted to try it. I added the 'immunity booster', which promised a hit of echinacea, vitamin C & some other stuff. I have no idea if it will do me good, but I'm suffering from a head cold at the moment, and the thought of a 30 hour flight with blocked sinuses isn't a nice one. So I've been trying every natural (and in the last day some less natural) remedies to try & combat it. It's working OK, but unfortunately I haven't kicked the cold completely.

Anyway, having never had a lychee smoothie before, I was curious about the health benefits. Turns out lychees are high in vitamin C & also contain flu-fighting properties. Go lychees!

Next stop - Italia! So stay tuned for tales of my search for vegan goodies in the land of food.

1 comment:

  1. Have a great time, can't wait to hear about your eating adventures in Italy, its my list of places which I want to visit.

    ReplyDelete