Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Italian desserts

Apart from Il Margutta, the other main reason I was looking forward to Roma was for the gelato.

As you can imagine, the stuff is EVERYWHERE in Italy. And almost none of it is vegan friendly. But, I had done my research & had found out about Il Gelatone weeks before. It was our last day in Roma and I was worried we wouldn't make it. Thank god we did.
Look at it - heaven in a cup. They have a clearly labelled section of soy gelato, with about 12 flavours. I exercised extreme self-control & chose just 2 - coconut & pistachio. Oh. My. God. You must go there. 'Nuff said.
After dinner in Trastevere my friend S was feeling like some more gelato & we happened across this place near the ancient quarter. I could not believe my luck when I realised that Il Dolce Sorriso had 4 or 5 soy gelato flavours! What are the odds!
This dripping mess is apple & chocolate. What a combination. Wow.
Finally, to finish is more of stuff I enjoyed throughout Sicilia - granite. Almost every gelato bar (and many cafes) serve granite throughout Italy, but I have found it to be quite different away from Sicily. On the mainland it's more what we call a slushie - basically superfine crushed ice with a heap of syrup. I'm not as much of a fan as the syrups are usually quite sickly sweet.

Just check out the colour on this strawberry granite I had in Florence - that's pure sugar right there :-)
Not long to go in Italia now, so can't say for sure whether there will be any more food adventures. Next stop - Australia - followed closely by New Zealand. So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment