Monday, October 18, 2010

Curried Barley with Vegetables

Here's a nice healthy dinner for you - a little wintery, but hey, after Melbourne's weather the last few days that's what I'm feeling like.

I had a pumpkin, some broccoli & potatoes to use so when I saw this recipe I was a little excited - no substitutions necessary! Once I tasted it I knew it needed a little more flavour though - I think using vegetable stock instead of water would probably do the trick. Chickpeas would also make a nice protein addition if you were in the mood.

Curried Barley with Vegetables
  • 1 ½ cups pearl barley
  • 1-2 TBS Nuttelex or other dairy-free margarine
  • 2 onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 tsp curry powder
  • ½ tsp garam masala
  • 2 large potatoes, peeled & cubed
  • 375g pumpkin, cubed
  • 4 cups water (or vegetable stock - see my note above)
  • 250g green vegetables, cut into bite-sized chunks (I used broccoli)
  • Salt, to taste
Rinse barley under cold water until water runs clear, drain. Heat Nuttelex in a large saucepan, add onions & stir until golden, about 3mins. Add garlic, curry powder & garam masala & stir 1min.

Add barley, potatoes, pumpkin & water/stock. Cover, bring to the boil, then reduce heat & simmer 10mins.

Add green vegetables, cover again & simmer a further 10mins, until vegetables & barley are tender. Season to taste with salt.

This will serve between 4-6 people, depending how hungry they are, so adjust the amounts if you're cooking for 2. It was simple, filling & tasty - 3 of my prerequisites for a good meal.

2 comments:

  1. I am looking for ways to eat barley and your recipe does look really good and very seasonal. I am especially liking the addition of the garam masala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a fantastic way to get more wholegrains in - something I struggle with. I really love barley too, but have only ever eaten it in soup.

    ReplyDelete