Sunday, October 3, 2010

A spring take on the weekly lunches

Well, we had to wait until October, but we're finally starting to see some blue skies & sunshine in Melbourne. This means I'm changing my weekly lunch from a stew to a salad (I actually changed last week but was rewarded with a miserable cold & rainy day so I'm ignoring that). This week I chose wholemeal cous cous as my grain base (the one thing I find it difficult to get enough servings of is grains, so I always try to make sure my lunch includes them). To the cous cous I added a can of chickpeas, a couple of stalks of finely sliced celery, a grated carrot, 1/2 a finely diced red capsicum, 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts, 1/4 cup frozen peas, 1/4 cup frozen corn & a slurp each of olive oil, balsamic vinegar & lemon juice. I added some salt & pepper for good measure & there you have it - a healthy & filling lunch for the week in about 10 minutes!D's lunch is some delicious Spinach & 'Cheese' Rolls which I saw here. How do I know they're delicious I hear you ask? Well, I might have tested one or two - you know, just to make sure I wasn't giving D dodgy food :-) These taste just like the ones I used to buy from the local bakery before I was vegan. Using the Tofutti also makes these really easy to make, although you could probably substitute a tofu 'ricotta' with equally good results.

2 comments:

  1. ooooh yummy, will have to make this salad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these simple salads. They're versatile too - I just use whatever veg I have in the fridge at the time.

    ReplyDelete