Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday breakfast in 4 parts

Step 1 - Get yourself a copy of The 4-Ingredient Vegan. There's a copy at Melbourne Library Service - I know because I asked them to buy it. Once you have the book - flip to the recipe for the Morning Muffin Sandwich & cook the tofu as described - it's delicious & super easy - basically just fry some tofu slices in Nuttelex with Nutritional Yeast flakes, salt & pepper until nice & golden. Toast some muffin halves & lay the tofu slices on the bottom halves.
Step 2 - As per the instructions in the recipe, wilt some fresh or frozen spinach - I used rainbow chard. Pile it on top of the tofu.
Step 3 - Get a copy of The Vegan Table (also available at Melbourne Library Service) & whip up the Vegan Hollandaise Sauce. Spoon a decent amount of the sauce over the spinach.
Step 4 - Place the remaining toasted muffin halves on top & devour!This was a truly awesome breakfast, the most satisfying I've had in a while. The hollandaise sauce was a little thick - the recipe requires using a saucepan & then moving it all to a blender, but I found this took too long which meant the sauce cooled down & thickened up (plus it's really hard to get out of the blender). Next time I'll just make the sauce all in the saucepan & use a good whisk. I'm also really glad I added the hollandaise - the muffins would have been too dry otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. That looks great and reminds me that I have been wanting to try the tofu benedict from vegan brunch for some time.

    Btw, I want to email you the details for BBQ potluck, but can't see your email address on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realised that the email bounced back so I've sent it through again.

    ReplyDelete