Friday, August 20, 2010

Bangers & Mash

I an effort to get through my vege box this week I'm making a rule that any meal I cook must contain at least one vegetable. Last night's dinner was safe, with 3 different things from the box!

This is Chickpea & Mushroom Sausages, first seen here, using this recipe, with a few alterations as I didn't have everything on hand (see my version of the recipe below). Accompanied by a mountain of creamy sweet potato mash & peas with gravy (just the boring powdered gravox variety). I LOVE mashed potato & always make way too much - but maybe you can never have too much mashed potato? (Badger certainly agrees).
This meal was ultra-satisfying yet still super healthy, the perfect kind! D started out saying the sausages didn't have much flavour, but then changed his mind & proceeded to eat five... MEN!

Chickpea & Mushroom Sausages
  • 1 large brown onion
  • 2 TBS olive oil
  • 200-250g mushrooms, chopped roughly
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 cups breadcrumbs
  • Plain flour, for dusting
Thinly slice the onion & fry in 1 TBS of the oil until soft. Add the mushrooms, cook another 5mins. Blend or process the mushroom mix with the curry powder, chickpeas & lemon juice. Add the breadcrumbs & process until just mixed. Flour your hands and form the mixture into 10 sausages. Brush the remaining oil over the sausages and grill for 10 minutes each side until golden.

A couple of notes - next time I will just process the mushrooms/chickpeas roughly, then mix in the breadcrumbs by hand. My mix was too smooth which made it difficult to form into sausages. Also, don't skimp on the flour for dusting - everything will turn into a big sticky mess if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment