Sunday, August 1, 2010

A local breakfast

D & I headed to our favourite local for breakfast this morning - Le Chien. I have written about it before, it's basically our 'go to' cafe when we can't be bothered travelling across town & is by far the best that the West has to offer (in my opinion).

The coffee is awesome - they use Supreme, it's so smooth and creamy I have to force myself to drink it slowly to make the pleasure last.

I normally go for the Avocado & Tomato on toast, but this morning I tried the relatively new vegan addition to the menu - beans on toast. The wait-staff here are really great, so I was disappointed when I asked if the beans were vegan, only to be told that no, they weren't gluten free. What is it with people associating vegan with gluten-free? Is it just that both dietary choices are becoming more common at the same time? Very frustrating, because I hate having to ask if something has been cooked with dairy or eggs or animal stock or honey etc etc, rather than using one simple word - vegan.

Moving on to more important things, the beans were pretty good. There was a touch of sweetness to them - maybe some maple syrup? The serving size was perfect and they came out steaming hot. I think beans on toast are pretty hard to make interesting, so I'd put these somewhere in the top-half of my ranking, but they didn't blow me away.



D had the 'Promite Special' - poached eggs, avocado & tomato on toast with promite. He reports that this was good as always. We have only ever had one bad experience at Le Chien, which we were easily able to forgive given the consistently great service, coffee, food and atmosphere that they offer.





Le Chien
5 Gamon St, Seddon
Sat-Mon, 8am–4pm; Tue-Fri 8am–5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment