Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Real Foods @ RMIT

I found myself at the other end of the city around lunch-time today and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try out the veg cafe at RMIT. When I was a student there I was at the business campus in Bourke St (which was a horrible place to study - not conducive to learning at all); so I never ventured into the food court at the Swanston St campus. I also had memories of the Melbourne Uni food co-op in my head which was awesome - I wish I had been able to afford to eat properly when I was a student - I remember treating myself to a bought lunch a couple of times and getting vegan rolls at Melbourne Uni filled with organic tempeh & salad for about $4; unfortunately even $4 was beyond my buget back then.

Anyway, there have been signs in the gym lately (heads up everyone - members of the public can join the RMIT gym for the same price as students & staff - it's amazingly cheap) advertising Real Foods - I'm not sure if they are completely new if they're just doing a marketing push.

You will find them in the Food Court - just enter Building 8 off Swanston St, head up the ramp & take a sharp left - Real Foods is around the back. Unless you want to hang out with the students, you'll be getting takeaway. The menu was pretty limited (but all organic & almost all vegan and gluten free) - pies, soup or salad. I went with the mushroom & tofu pie for $4 - so cheap! It was pretty good too - filled with just the basics of tofu, mushroom, barley & gravy. Actually, I couldn't tell the difference between this pie & the ones at TOFWD and wonder if they are actually the same pie (but a LOT cheaper).I also spied some muffins/cakes on the counter & what looked like raw cheescake; and noticed they do a super green smoothie, which would be great in summer.

So, if you're lucky enough to work up that end of the city, I recommend Real Foods for a cheap quick lunch (though beware - they are probably only open during the uni semester).

Real Foods
RMIT City Campus
Building 8, Level 4 Food Court

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I go to RMIT and didn't know they had a vegan food place there! Well, we have night classes so the chances of it being open at that time are slim... Usually in our break I settle for some miso or sesame crackers, there's not much else on offer except for chips...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking they must be new - probably not open at night though, which is a shame. Hopefully you'll be there during the day soon so you can try them out!

    ReplyDelete