Monday, August 23, 2010

Ethiopian indulgence

I decided I couldn't let my birthday just pass-by without celebration after all & made a last-minute reservation at The Abyssinian in Flemington last night. It's a small Ethiopian restaurant with a great atmosphere and outstanding food.

If you're not familiar with Ethiopian dining, it's all about sharing. The meals are delivered on enormous platters lined with flatbread called Injera. There is no cutlery - you just tear off pieces of the bread & scoop up the delicious stews & salads with the bread.

To continue my tradition from previous visits we ordered the Chef's Vegetarian Combination for 2. All the veg meals are dairy free but one of the salads contains egg, so it's best to double-check with the waiter just in case.
(Apologies for the photos - it's the phone camera again). Clockwise from back left: Dubba (pumpkin in a spicy sauce), Tumtummo (with green lentils), Shiro (chickpea puree), Salad a la Asmara (mixed salad with a mustard dressing).
Anti-clockwise from the front: I'm not sure what this was but it was yummy - some kind of bean stew, Hoswas (seasonal mixed vegetables), Tumtummo with red lentils.

My favourite stew was the Shiro, closely followed by the Hoswas & the Salad. As you can see, the plate is ENORMOUS. It could easily feed 3-4 people, and at $35, I think it's a real bargain. Service here is friendly and quick - I highly recommend you visit. As I mentioned above, it's pretty small & gets very busy so book ahead to avoid disappointment.

The Abyssinian
277 Racecourse Rd, Flemington
Mon-Sat, 5.30-10pm
Ph: 9376 8754
www.theabyssinian.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment