Saturday, August 21, 2010

A burger from a chain-store

That chain store is Grill'd. I'd been interested in trying their burgers for a little while - they always come up when you do a 'vegan friendly' restaurant search in Urban Spoon. I found myself at work around lunch-time and feeling quite peckish so I decided that today was the today to check them out.

There are 3 veg burgers listed on the menu - one based on a standard veg patty with salad, a mushroom burger & another based on a chickpea patty. One thing I liked - the menu clearly states that all the patties are vegan. So, no need to waste time explaining what vegan is & hauling out packaging to check etc etc. You will need to ask for each of the burgers without the relevant sauce or cheese or pesto or all three to make them vegan though.

I decided to go with the chickpea burger - named 'Bombay Bliss'. The bun was nice & soft & the patty was topped with lovely fresh tomato, lettuce, spanish onion, roasted capsicum & chutney. Unfortunately, even though everything was nice & fresh, it didn't taste all that great. The patty had a hint of curry flavour, but it wasn't nearly strong enough & even the chutney was pretty bland. At $10.50 for a takeaway burger, I expected a little more.
Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. And now I know that there's another fast food vegan option out there if I'm ever desperate.

2 comments:

  1. A word of warning for those thinking of trying the Grill'd chips; they're not vegan (they contain beef tallow).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the warning Danni - it's easy to forget that not all chips are friendly these days.

    ReplyDelete