Friday, August 13, 2010

Help me!

I'm seeking advice from Melbournites please!

I want to celebrate my birthday this year by having an awesome meal with D somewhere fancy (which is something we never ever do). But I don't know where to go - my shortlist so far is:
1. Le Cru, Albert Park (have read completely conflicting reviews about this place)
2. Circa The Prince, St Kilda
3. Jacques Reymond, South Yarra
4. Mercer's Restaurant, Eltham

These are all places that I know do some kind of vegan degustation or other kind of fancy vegan food. The restaurant doesn't necessarily have to do degustation, but excellent vegan food & service is a must.

So... please overwhelm me with your recommendations!

6 comments:

  1. I read recently that Le Cru is no longer operating as a restaurant (maybe in VNV news?)... you might wanna check that out.

    I'll put a vote in for Circa The Prince - we had a terrific vegetarian degustation there last year (not overly reliant on eggs/dairy) and a commenter confirmed that their vegan options are very good.

    Also for your consideration - Ezard. I thoroughly enjoyed my one visit there and I know that Miss T has dined fabulously as a vegan there several times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of those 4 I vote for Circa because I love it! I have no idea what their vegan meals are like though I have only been there once since I have been vegan & that was for a catered meeting - I did get awesome sandwiches though.
    Otherwise Press Club does a good (but exxy) vegan meal which I have blogged about here: http://vickivegan.blogspot.com/2010/01/press-club-ii.html
    I think Ezards might also do a good vegan degustation which I think Miss T has blogged about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Circa should be your target. Now even better since the recent makeover they have a garden on the rooftop balcony where they are growing their own herbs, baby vegies and edible flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you thank you thank you! I will definitely let you know where we end up. I'm leaning towards Circa at the moment, but I think D will have the final choice as the money-man :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Le Cru was run by some real wankers, hope you didn't decide to go there - and if it's not operating anymore, i wouldn't be at all surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Unfortunately we didn't end up going anywhere :-( They do say if you want something done properly, do it yourself... I think next year I will heed that advice :-) I'll store these away in my memory for my next special occasion.

    ReplyDelete