Sunday, July 4, 2010

Seddon breakfast & carrot muffins

I've been to 2 cafes this weekend - 1 new & 1 old favourite. The new was Apte Cafe in Fairfield. I met the library 'girls' for lunch to farewell C - she is heading to Europe to live for a couple of years, lucky thing. I'm going to miss you :-(.

I wouldn't recommend Apte for vegans, there isn't really anything on the menu that is easily adaptable. I ended up getting the fruit toast with jam (no butter). The toast was huge, easily double the thickness of normal toast, & delicious. The strawberry jam was great too - possibly home-made. Coffee 5/5, service was friendly but very slow (apparently we had been warned to expect a wait though so it may not always be that bad). There is a nice courtyard out the back, a great spot for summer.

Today D had to work so we got up early & headed to one of our local favourites - Le Chien in Seddon. We only ever come here for breakfast as the lunch & dinner menus are not very vegan-friendly. For breakfast I always get the Avocado & Tomato on Sourdough (no butter). It's always delicious, but you get sick of it after a while which is why we tend to travel around a lot so that I can find something interesting. I noticed today that they have added Beans on Toast to the menu; I'll check the vegan credentials of this next time. The ambience is great at Le Chien, as is the service & the coffee (they use Supreme - organic, fair-trade & yummy!)

When D had left for work I set about making some savoury muffins for his morning tea this week. I wanted to use some of the carrots in the fridge, so I went through all of my books until I found the perfect recipe. I chose the Zucchini & Carrot Muffins from The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook. I didn't actually have any zucchini, having used them in the pasta bake, so I added walnuts in addition to the pecans already in the recipe. I also added an extra 1/4 cup of soy milk to substitute for the moisture lost from the missing zucchini. I did a straight substitution for the eggs (Orgran No-Egg) & Nuttelex for butter.

These turned out perfectly, though D finds them a bit too nutty (that would be from the extra walnuts I added :-)), but I like the nuttiness. There's also just a hint of the cinnamon & nutmeg, which ensures they aren't too bland.

No comments:

Post a Comment