Sunday, July 4, 2010

I am a failure

A few weeks ago I bought a packet of Vegan Meringue Cookie Mix from the Radical Grocery Store. I decided that I would try it out yesterday afternoon.







I followed the instructions, Step 1 - mix Sachet A with the water.








Step 2, mix Sachet B with sugar & add to the bowl a little at a time. At this stage I was excited - the mix was identical to the meringue I had made in my pre-vegan days.







The instructions suggested piping the meringues onto a baking tray, so I got out my cute little icing bag set - isn't it gorgeous!








Unfortunately my piping skills are truly terrible, as you can see in this photo. These were the last ones I did, so I was sick of it & really not trying. For the last few I just dropped teaspoonfuls onto the tray. Because the mix is so sticky this isn't as easy as it sounds.




Finally I popped them in the oven, and that's where everything went wrong. As you can see, these aren't exactly the white fluffy meringues I was expecting. They had collapsed into themselves & spread over the tray. I don't know why, maybe it's because I used raw caster sugar instead of white? If anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful for the advice.



Even though they didn't look pretty these still tasted awesome, so close to the real thing, sugary & light & scrumptious!

2 comments:

  1. oh that worries me because I have vegan marshmallow mix but it needs a candy thermometer and that intimidates me - but I can highly recommend the dessert diet and dogs recipe for vegan macaroons if you want to feel more of a vegan baking success

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll try to perfect this one before I attempt the marshmallows. My mum suggested that I might not have beat the mix for long enough to allow the sugar to dissolve. I followed the times suggested on the packet, but this is a definite possibility. I think I'll bake some cupcakes this weekend - they always turn out perfectly :-)

    ReplyDelete