Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Peppermint creams


Look what was waiting for me when I got home today. D had bought me some beautiful flowers. Very sweet... he has his moments :-)
For dessert tonight I made some peppermint creams. This is another recipe that I have picked up along the way somewhere but can't remember where. I made a half-batch because these are super sickly-sweet & I don't have anyone to share them with. A full batch would send me on a sugar high that would last for days.
Ingredients
  • 250g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp peppermint essence
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 egg white replacer (I use Orgran No-Egg. Follow the directions on the packet, which say to use 1 heaped tsp of powder to 1 TBS of water)
  • Green food colouring (optional)
Sift the sugar into a bowl. Mix the essence, juice & egg white replacer together, then add to the sugar. Mix together with your fingers until a dough starts to form. Add a drop of green food colouring (if using) & continue to mix until the dough comes together. Sprinkle some sugar on a board & on a rolling pin, then roll out the dough to about 1/2cm thick. Cut out shapes, gently lay them on a plate or tray & allow to set for 1hr. If you're in Melbourne in winter, that means just leave them on the kitchen bench. If you're in QLD, you might need to put them in the fridge.

Here are the flowers D bought me in the vase by best friends bought me for my 18th birthday all those years ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment