Monday, July 12, 2010

More winter warmers

I had actually run out of vegetables yesterday (except for 4 potatoes in the cupboard) so decided to make something simple for my lunch. I picked up a couple of carrots & some celery from the supermarket & decided to make vegetable & barley soup from my Mums recipe. This soup is really easy (there can't be many soups that aren't) & you can use whatever vegetables you have in the fridge. It's healthy too - I really enjoyed it today, left me feeling full all afternoon.

Mums Vegetable & Barley Soup
  • 4 potatoes, peeled & roughly chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled & roughly chopped
  • 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp ginger, crushed
  • 1/2 cup pearl barley
  • 1/2 cup green split peas
  • 1/2 cup yellow split peas
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • Bouquet garni, or dried herbs of choice
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Cover the barley & peas with boiling water & stand 30mins. Drain & set aside. Heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegetables and ginger & cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add the barley, peas, stock, herbs & salt/pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, then cover & reduce heat to simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 30mins, until the peas are tender.

That's it! You can add more or less stock, depending on how thick you like your soup. You could also puree the soup in a food processor, but I prefer this with the chunky vegetables.

I got home a little late tonight & wanted something quick & healthy, which is good, because normally I feel like something quick & UNhealthy. I realised I hadn't made my lentil bolognese for ages - it used to be my favourite dinner so I decided to resurrect it. This ticks all the boxes - quick, healthy, filling, yummy, healthy & I could serve it to my non-veg friends.

Lentil Bolognese
  • 1 onion, finely diced (I didn't have an onion, so just used an extra celery stick)
  • 1 carrot, peeled & grated
  • 2 sticks celery, finely diced
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed & drained
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 TBS tomato paste
  • 2 tsp dried marjoram
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan & add the onion, carrot, celery & garlic. Saute for 5mins, until softened. Add the remaining ingredients & bring to boil. Reduce heat & simmer, covered, 20mins, until the lentils are tender & the sauce has thickened.

Serve with wholemeal spaghetti for a wholesome meal!

You know what I realised tonight - I'm really enjoying cooking lots again & eating more healthy meals; but I really hate the washing up! Seriously, I'm washing up 2-3 times a day & it sucks, now I understand why Mum wanted a dishwasher for all those years.

No comments:

Post a Comment