Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A fruity dessert

My sweet tooth just will not be tamed at the moment! I'm trying my best to fulfill the cravings with healthier desserts, rather than oreos & skittles (both at the top of the list of my favourite ninja vegan products). Flicking through The Joy of Vegan Baking I found a a recipe for fruit candies that was sugar free. The recipe called for walnuts, dried dates, dried apricots, raisins & coconut. I didn't have quite enough walnuts, so I subsituted some almonds to top up the mix. I also didn't have plain raisins, just a dried fruit mix (which included cranberries & orange peel). I popped everything in the food processor & the poor thing really struggled. I thought the motor might be about to give up forever, but it soldiered on (which is good, because I've had it for about 10 years & really don't want to buy another one). I also added some agave syrup at the last minute, because it wasn't quite sweet enough for me.

These are quite yummy, but not as yummy as the Apricot & Walnut Balls. Definitely healthier though - the apricot balls have about 1/4 cup of sugar in them.

The vegetable delivery arrived late tonight, I was starting to worry that we would starve :-). This week we got:
  • Capsicum
  • Onions
  • Potatoes
  • Ginger
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • Beetroot (I'm thinking chocolate & beetroot cupcakes that I can take to work)
  • Celery
  • Carrots
  • Tomatoes
  • Some weird leafy green vegetable - like silverbeet but kind of crinkly - I have no idea what it is!
Here is a close-up of the leafy green one, I thought it could be kale, as I don't think I ever seen kale before, but I looked up some photos & I'm not so sure. Can anyone help?

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure that is kale, which is hardish to find in Melbourne - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, very exciting! I've got tons of recipes that need kale, I better start hunting...

    ReplyDelete