Sunday, July 4, 2010

Beetroot, Parsnip & Potato Soup

For my lunch this week I wanted to use the beetroot & parsnip from the vegetable box. I have a recipe for a roast vegetable salad which includes both; but I really prefer hot food at this time of year, so I decided to try & make a soup. I read some of the beetroot soup recipes in my books to get an idea of the types of flavours I could use.

First, I diced an onion, 3 potatoes & 2 parsnips & fried these in a little olive oil.
Then I added 3 cups of vegetable stock & 1tsp of ground cumin & simmered for 20mins.
While this was happening I had a beetroot in roasting in the oven. This is the first time I have roasted a beetroot & it worked really well (just cut the stalks off about 2cm from the base, wrap in foil & roast for 45mins). Look at the purple juice seeping out - what an amazing colour! When the beetroot has cooled a little, remove the skin by rubbing it gently, then dice the flesh roughly.
Add the beetroot to the soup & simmer a further 15mins, until all the vegetables are very tender. Process the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth & return to the hot pan.
Add salt & pepper to taste & a dash of lemon juice. Stir well & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment