Sunday, July 11, 2010

Decadent Dessert

I bought some dates yesterday, I've never bought them before & had no idea how cheap they are! I remembered a recipe for sticky date pudding that I wanted to try (not sure where it came from), and OH MY GOD... it was amazing! I haven't eaten sticky-date pudding since my pre-vegan days & I'd forgotten how sweet & rich & fulfilling it is. I highly recommend this recipe - it's easy & scrumptious!

Self-saucing sticky date pudding
  • 1 cup finely chopped dried dates
  • 1 1/2 cups SR flour
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 3/4 cup soy milk
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 30g Nuttelex, chopped
Preheat oven to 180 degrees & grease a shallow ovenproof dish (2L or 8cup). Place dates in a heatproof bowl – add boiling water to cover. Stand 10mins, then drain. Sift flour & caster sugar into a bowl – add dates & milk & mix well. Spread into dish.

In a large heatproof jug combine water, brown sugar & Nuttelex – stir until melted. Carefully pour mix over batter. Place dish on oven tray.

Bake 40mins until browned & centre is firm to touch. Stand 5mins before serving.





I only wish I'd had some soy cream or ice-cream to serve this with, that would have taken it to a whole other level.

4 comments:

  1. I have made sticky date pudd a few times but never with the sauce as part of the pudding - I love the idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely recommend trying it with the sauce - it's almost like a caramel & really set it off. Yum, I want some more now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya! I tried this recipe during the week, subbing gluten-free SR flour for the wheaten stuff. It still tasted TERRIFIC but the flour messed with the texture a bit... not so badly that we didn't scrape the bowl clean though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear it turned out OK Cindy. The sauce is my favourite bit - I think I described it as caramel, but I think it's actually butterscotch...mmm :-)

    ReplyDelete