Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mmm... beetroot and chocolate

True to my word, I made chocolate-beetroot cupcakes tonight using this recipe for inspiration. I did some research about how to convert a cake recipe for cupcakes & basically I just lowered the baking temp about 5 degrees & cut the cooking time by about 1/3 (they took just under 25 mins). I also used 1/2 applesauce & 1/2 oil, because 3/4 cup of oil seemed like a lot. I stuck with the icing recipe, doubling it to make enough for all my cupcakes (LOVE the tip about using beetroot juice to colour it). Right at the end I decided to add 1/4 tsp rosewater which really lifted the flavour.
Here they are waiting to go into the oven - isn't the deep rich chocolate red colour just gorgeous!





Just out of the oven...












And finished with my rose buttercream icing - so pretty!

The verdict? They're yummy, rich & moist. Possibly a bit dense - I think the recipe would work better as a normal cake, as I prefer my cupcakes a bit lighter & fluffier. Didn't stop me eating 3 in a row though :-)

2 comments:

  1. interesting to hear rose water can lift the flavour in small quantities - I have been swithering on whether to add it to a pudding I am planning to make - will have to remember this if I get around to making these cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love rosewater - for this I think it made the icing a bit less 'pure sugar' sweet into something more delicate. Now I'm thinking about cupcakes at 6.30 in the morning! Is it wrong to have a cupcake for breakfast? :-)

    ReplyDelete