Saturday, July 17, 2010

Fakin' bacon & egg muffins

In a half-hearted attempt to reduce my sugar intake (I say half-hearted because I already have plans to make cupcakes tomorrow :-)), I decided to make a savoury breakfast today. D has gone away again, so I had free reign to indulge my own tastes. I picked up some Redwood Bio Rashers (does anyone else think this is a terrible name? I don't find it appetising at all), wholemeal muffins & cheddar-style cheezly.

To replace the egg, I used a recipe I picked up a while ago for vegan omelettes. It relies on besan (chickpea) flour & it's awesome - so simple, easy & super good for you. I quartered the original recipe, because I just wanted two 'egg' sized patties, not two whole omelettes.

Fakin' fried eggs
  • 1/4 cup besan flour
  • 3/8 cup water
  • 1/4 TBS olive oil
  • Heaps of salt & pepper
  • Pinch black salt (completely optional - it adds to the 'egg' flavour, but they taste great without it as well)


Whisk all the ingredients until well combined. You'll probably still have small lumps of flour & it will be really runny - trust me, it firms up quickly when cooked.

Heat 1/2 TBS olive oil in a frypan. When hot, add half the batter. Cook about 1min, until it looks quite firm, then flip & cook another minute. Fold into quarters (or small enough to fit on the muffin).

I layered my muffins with cheezly, 'egg', 'bacon', tomato & tomato sauce - yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment