Sunday, July 11, 2010

Monk Bodhi Dharma - Excellent food, average service

D & I got up early this morning & drove across town to Monk Bodhi Dharma in St Kilda. We have been there once before, just after it opened & had a pleasant breakfast. However, last week I read this review & decided we had to go back. The first time we had tried it, there were only a couple of vegan breakfast options on the menu - the beans & the muesli (or it could have been the porridge). I had the beans & they were nice, but didn't blow me away. When I read that the vegan options had multiplied (plus there is vegan cupcakes), I knew I had to go back.

We arrived just before 9 & it was already pretty full, so we nabbed the last table. Unfortunately it was next to the door & extremely cramped, so it wasn't the most comfortable spot. Plus, every time the door opened I copped a blast of freezing air & an inevitable handbag or elbow to the head. Granted, we chose to sit there, but it does annoy me a little when tables are so squashed together like that.

The couple next to us had walked in about 30 seconds before us & the waitress visited them & pointed out something that wasn't available on the menu. She then threw a couple of menus on our table & walked away without looking at us, so I have no idea what it was that wasn't available. Thankfully, she came back a few minutes later & took our coffee order. The coffee is nice - strong, nutty & hot. D doesn't like it much, but I'm definitely happy with the soy lattes.

After reading the menu & happily noticing that most items now have a 'v' denoting veganisable items, I decided to go with the french toast. Then we waited... and waited. The couple next to us (who had ordered at the same time) got their meal & a second round of coffee, and left. And still we waited. No-one approached us for 40 minutes, then finally, our meals arrived & we ordered a second round of coffee. Now, I don't mind a leisurely Sunday breakfast, but I do get annoyed when I'm ignored (I mean, it would be in their interest to serve us more coffee wouldn't it?); and the fact that our neighbours were served in a fairly timely manner irked me a little as well.

The meals are special, I'll give them that.

I had the french toast - veganised. This came with poached pears, bay leaf syrup & a pistachio-lemon cream cheese (based on tofutti I guess, not really sure). It was divine, perfectly cooked (& a pretty full-on sugar hit for me, especially after last night's pudding). The cream cheese really made the meal.

D had the 'Avo' - avocado, fetta, mint & chilli on sourdough. He thought it was OK, but wasn't a big fan (to be fair - he's used to heavier meals based on eggs or tofu on the weekends).

I noticed that there are quite a few vegan desserts on offer here, but unfortunately there was no way I could go there after such a sweet meal. I can remember seeing 2 types of cupcake (gingerbread & rosewater/pistachio), pecan brownies & chocolate chip cookies.

By the time our meals arrived we only had 15 minutes left on our parking, so we ate quickly & left. Overall, not a relaxing Sunday breakfast, and, while the food is great & the coffee is good, I'm not sure we will drive across town to make a special trip here again.

3 comments:

  1. I am so disappointed by your experience! We trained across and met a friend and went to rishon's for vegan groceries, so it became more of an excursion than a special trip, which I think might be the way to do it.

    Also our services was great! Which is why I'm saddened by your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our first experience definitely wasn't that bad, so it may have been the staff on the day. The thing is, I don't mind waiting a while for food if the staff acknowledge it & apologise, or just ask us if we want another coffee, but they just didn't do that. If we happen to be in the area again we might pop in because the food is great, but we probably won't make a special trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! Post share very useful

    ReplyDelete