Sunday, July 18, 2010

A simple banana bread

I had a couple of over-ripe bananas to use and figured banana bread was as good a way to use them as anything else. I was going to freeze it, but I think I'll give it to D for his morning tea this week instead. This is really simple recipe, yet another one that has made it into my big book from somewhere mysterious. The reason I like it is that it's not a 'substitute' one. As in, I don't need to use processed egg replacer or soy milk or Nuttelex. Just easy, healthy, ingredients.

Basic banana bread
  • 2 bananas, mashed
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 2 TBS molasses (I used golden syrup)
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1/4 tsp bi-carb soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees & grease a loaf tin. Mix the banana, sugar, applesauce, oil & molasses well. Stir in the flour, soda, spices and salt until just combined. Pour the mix into the tin & bake 50mins, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

As you can see I slightly overcooked it - a little brown around the edges :-) The taste? Like you'd expect from banana bread - moist, fairly dense & completely satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment