Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Aha!

I had a lightbulb moment yesterday. You may remember that I was trying to work out what my mystery green vegetable was. Well, they say 'ask and you shall receive'. Epicure yesterday had a column Turn over a new leaf about different varieties of green leafy veg. Lo and behold, there was my mystery veg! Which, it turns out, is Cavalo Nero, not Kale as originally thought. Also known as black cabbage or Tuscan cabbage, the article suggests preparing it the same way as Kale. I did some more research and most recipes suggest blanching it for 3-4 mins before cooking, which explains why my first attempt turned out a bit chewy.

I'm happy now, I hate mysteries...

2 comments:

  1. Aha indeed! Seems to be the week for cavolo nero, what with one friend cooking it, you blogging it, and another eating it at a restaurant this week with me.

    I think it's actually a type of kale - so we weren't far off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true - I've seen references to it as 'black kale' since then.

    ReplyDelete