Saturday, September 11, 2010

On a roll with Patrick-Goudreau

Sticking with my pledge to make sure every meal I make uses the veges from the delivery box, I made another meal from The Vegan Table last night. This time it was the Spinach & Tofu Lasagne. I didn't have any lasagne sheets in the house, so made cannelloni instead & I also substituted fresh Chard for frozen spinach (I just wilted it first) & it tasted fantastic! The tofu 'ricotta' is such a simple recipe that tastes amazing - I have a feeling that it would work really well in spinach & 'ricotta' pasties as well.

The recipe calls for 4-6 cups of tomato sauce or passata, so I made up a sauce using another recipe in the book - Basic Tomato Sauce. I left out the carrot & celery & substituted red wine for the balsamic vinegar. The result was a deliciously rich tomato base for the Cannelloni. I was going to grate some cheezly over the top, but was too lazy, so just sprinkled a little Nutritional Yeast over about half-way through baking instead.My only tip would be that if, like me, you end up with 2 layers of cannelloni tubes, make sure you spread a little sauce in between the layers. The sauce will help to cook (i.e. soften) the dry pasta. Unfortunately I didn't do this last night, so the bottom layer of tubes were a little tougher than the top :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment