Sunday, September 19, 2010

Slow Down, St Kilda

We headed across town this morning with the intention of visiting Galleon for breakfast (I LOVE their scrambled tofu). Unfortunately we got there around 10.30, which is too late for a Sunday - there were already people lined up down the street waiting for a table. I was disappointed, but thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try Slow Down! again. We first visited over a year ago & I remembered getting a delicious stuffed capsicum dish & was sure I saw other vegan options on the menu.

Unfortunately, the menu has changed, and none of the vegan dishes I remembered have made it onto the new one. The philosophy of this cafe is organic, local, sustainable & ethical. I think it's kind of funny that the majority of dishes on the menu at an 'ethical' cafe are based on meat & the remaining few are dairy or egg-centric. Anyway, we had already sat down & the atmosphere inside is great, plus they have good coffee & attentive service; so we decided to try & make the best of it.

I chose the Avocado & Lime on Rye Toast (minus the feta). Not what I felt like at all, but it was the only meal on the menu I could veganise - there wasn't even the normal 'toast with sides' option. D opted for the scrambled eggs with cheese. The coffees came out quickly, but the food took a while. I didn't mind too much this morning though - as I mentioned, this place has a great atmosphere - I think it would make a perfect dinner venue, if only the menu was more vegan-friendly :-(When the meals arrived I was pretty disappointed - you probably can't tell from the photo, but mine was tiny! And the toast was cold & tasted quite stale (which I think was a result of my meal sitting on the servery for about 10mins while they waited for D's eggs to cook). D didn't like his eggs either - he said they tasted like macaroni cheese. To top things off, when we got the bill, I noticed they had charged me 90c extra for soy milk! Way way way over the top!

In summary, I don't recommend Slow Down! for vegans but vegetarians will find something to eat, even if they won't have much choice. The atmosphere & service are both great, but the organic menu means the prices are higher than other places in the area.

Slow Down!
56 Acland St, St Kilda
Breakfast from 8am every day; Dinner Wed-Sat from 5pm
www.slowdown.net.au

No comments:

Post a Comment