Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A whole lot of new stuff

Firstly, apologies for the lack of interesting posts - I have just started a new job & life is hectic. A few other things have happened too - my regular vegie delivery company Garden Organics has decided to stop their delivery service! I am very disappointed because the quality of their produce was so good, but I do understand that you can't continue to run a service that isn't commercially viable. So I have had to find a new supplier & after a lot of online research, I decided to try The Green Line again. Last time I used them I found them to be slightly less in quality & quantity.Here is my delivery this week - the quantity is definitely less - about 2/3 of what I was receiving. Quality seems OK though, we got:
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Potatoes
  • Sweet potato
  • Chard
  • Bok Choy
  • Baby spinach
  • Mung bean sprouts
  • Zucchini
  • Tomatoes
  • Red Capsicum
  • Cauliflower
With a fridge full of fresh veg, I sat down with one of my new favourite cookbooks - The Vegan Table - to find something that I could make for dinner. It presented so many options, but in the end I decided on Aloo Gobi (Curried Cauliflower & Potatoes). This was really delicious - so many lovely flavours from the spices & the little heat from the chilli was perfect. D approved too, so I know it must be a good recipe :-)Finally, look what turned up in the mail last week - the brand new edition of The Australian Veg Food Guide!
I love that it's now a national guide, not just Victoria, & also that there are so many new places for me try out. I also love the consistent icons to indicate vegan friendliness & the inclusion of cafes in a list even if there is no review - more choice is always better! Just a couple of minor things the editors could consider for the next edition:
  • A suburb index at the back. I was going to Ballarat the other day & I knew there was a veg restaurant there but couldn't remember the name. The only way to find it was to flick through the Victorian section until I found it. So an index would really help (this could also be the librarian in me talking).
  • Maybe a map like the Cheap Eats/Good Food guides use? That would be particularly useful if you were travelling to an unfamiliar area or even if you were just somewhere like Fitzroy with so many options - if one cafe was closed or too busy you could quickly look at the map to find another nearby.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for mine to arrive! Also I really want the Vegan Table. What's your fave recipe so far? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New books are so exciting! I've only made 6 or so recipes - I think my favourite so far is the Spinach & Tofu lasagne. The best thing about the book (& about The Joy of Vegan Baking) is how simple the recipes are. They're not all quick, but most are & they're so hard to stuff up!

    ReplyDelete