Monday, September 6, 2010

Purple Pies

OK, so the pies weren't purple. But the side dishes I served with the pies were VERY purple. When I decided to make 2 purple sides I thought it would look cool, but they ended up looking kind of strange (& D was very suspicious). Of course, as we all know, colour doesn't affect taste!I finally got around to making Cindy's I-can't-believe-it's-not-meat pies. My gravy was a mix of Massel 'beef' stock & red wine, with extra flavouring added by vegan worcestershire sauce & black pepper. It didn't thicken up much (even when I added extra cornflour), so next time I'll probably use slightly less than the 2 cups of liquid. I also used about double the quantity of mushrooms because I have a whole bag of them in the fridge that need to get used.

I served the pies with a purple cauliflower mash - which ended up looking kind of grey because most of the lovely purple colour seeped into the cooking water. It was still delicious though - I just mashed it with a dash of the cooking water, olive oil, some salt & pepper. Next to the mash is steamed purple cabbage - mixed with olive oil, salt & pepper - yum!

The verdict? A delicious, pretty simple dinner. Next time I'll probably follow Cindy's suggestion & make a cheat's gravy with powder :-)

4 comments:

  1. Purpley and delicious! Love the perfect pie crust :D

    vegienoob.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's scary looking - it's a meal showing all the possible gradations of purple! Beautiful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind comments :-) The perfect pie crust is from my awesome pie-maker - love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think it looks like a horror movie meal but I live with someone who delights in horror movies so it is a great compliment in our house!

    Re the purple cauli - I have had good success with purple cauli in cauliflower rice - you blitz up the cauli so it is as fine as rice and fry it in butter or marg - it looked fantastic with the purple cauli - hmm maybe I could try this with broccolflower (the green cauli) that I have never managed to find a decent way to cook

    ReplyDelete