Sunday, September 19, 2010

Strawberry Coconut Bread

I bought a really big punnet of cheap strawberries from the market on Saturday - turns out they were cheap because most of them were bruised or on their way out. So I decided to make this bread - I've made it a few times in the past & it's super easy & pretty hard to stuff up. I don't know where the recipe came from, so apologies if I'm stealing anyone's idea. To intensify the strawberry flavour, you could serve this this with some fresh strawberries or even a strawberry coulis. Cashew cream would also work well.Strawberry Coconut Bread
  • 1 punnet strawberries
  • 1 1/2 cups plain flour
  • 1 tsp bi-carb soda
  • Pinch salt
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
  • 2 egg replacers, lightly beaten (I use No-Egg)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup light olive oil (I use half oil, half applesauce)
  • 3/4 cup cup buttermilk (just add about 1/4 tsp of white vinegar to soy milk)
Preheat the oven to 180C & grease or line the base of a loaf tin.

Puree the strawberries in a food processor or blender. Sift the flour, soda & salt into a large bowl. Stir through the sugar & coconut. In a separate bowl mix together the egg replacers, essence, oil & milk.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients & add the wet ingredients. Mix until it just comes together. Fold through the strawberries - stir only 2 or 3 times - you want the swirly pattern to stay.

Pour into loaf tin & bake 50-60mins until golden brown & a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Dust with icing sugar to serve (can be served warm or cold).

I also added a mashed banana to the mix because I had an over-ripe one, but the flavour of the banana does tend to overwhelm everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment