Monday, September 27, 2010

Risoni Salad

The sunny weather yesterday inspired me to make a salad for lunch this week (I'm so sick of winter-style stews). Of course, lunch time today rolled around & it was pouring with rain, about 14 degrees & blowing a gale - perfect weather for a salad! Melbourne really does my head in sometimes :-)

Unfortunately the fridge was pretty bare, but I did manage to scrape together enough ingredients to make a fairly healthy salad. I really love risoni, but I know refined pasta isn't all that good for me, so I don't eat it all that often. This salad is really simple & completely adaptable. I would normally add more fresh vegetables like capsicum, peas or asparagus but since I forgot to put my vegetable delivery in last week I was really scraping the bottom of the vegetable crisper. The simple oil, lemon & seasoning dressing for this is really delicious. Risoni Salad
  • 1 cup risoni
  • 2 carrots, peeled & grated
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped finely
  • 3/4 cup sliced black olives
  • 1 400g can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
  • 3 TBS olive oil
  • 3 TBS lemon juice
  • Salt & freshly cracked black pepper
Cook the risoni until tender (about 10 mins). Toss all the ingredients together & refrigerate before serving.

Continuing with D's birthday celebrations, we got takeaway for dinner last night - his all-time favourite meal - pizza. Now, we have some pretty nice pizza places in the West, but I've been disappointed to find that most of the 'gourmet' places add milk to their pizza bases. So, we usually just get Pizza Hut. It's cheap, veganisable & fast. One thing I don't like at Pizza Hut is the sauce - it's just tomato paste without any extra flavour - not even some oregano.

I got the Veggie Pizza Mia - it's supposed to have mushrooms, sundried tomato & capsicum, but mine didn't have any sundried tomato which was disappointing. I took away the cheese & added pineapple & olives. This is another gripe I have - why do I get charged for adding pineapple & olives, even though I took away the cheese? Surely I should at least get one extra topping for free when I'm saving them on such a significant ingredient! Oh well, I chose not to say anything last night, so I guess I should stop whinging :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment