Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chocolate Cake in a Mug

Wow, it's Sunday again & I have 5 days worth of posts to catch up on... here we go.

I'm sure many people have heard of, and tried, the 5 minute chocolate cake in a mug recipe. I've had it a few times and to be honest, it's not that great, but it does do an OK job of satisfying a winter chocolate craving. The original recipe is easily veganisable, I have included my version below. I usually add some strawberry jam because the mix is quite dry, unfortunately, this time, it resulted in the cake collapsing just before it finished cooking. This also made it difficult to get out of the mug, hence the messy photo!

Ingredients
  • 4 TBS SR flour
  • 4 TBS sugar
  • 1 TBS cocoa
  • 1 egg replacer (I use Organ No-Egg)
  • 3 TBS soy milk
  • 3 TBS canola oil
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1-2 tsp strawberry jam
Place the flour, sugar & cocoa into a large coffee mug & mix well. Add the egg replacer, soy milk, vanilla & oil - stir until combined & smooth. Drop the jam on top of the mix - don't stir. Microwave on high (1200 watts) for 2 1/2 minutes. The cake will rise above the edge of the mug, and don't worry, it won't spill. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then tip out & eat while warm.

(Keen NSW librarians might also note the mug - the infamous Galaxy Bookshop - I snapped up a few of these at the NSW Public Library conference in 2007).

No comments:

Post a Comment