Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pizza & Pancakes

We made the trip to Eat Pizza in Maribyrnong last night, after reading about it here. I'm glad I had read this, because there is no indication when you walk into Eat Pizza that they are anything other than a run-of-the-mill takeaway - I couldn't find anything suggesting vegan-friendly anywhere! I was determined to persevere, so I picked up a copy of their takeaway menu, and there it was, at the bottom - Vegan Cheese & Vegan Pepperoni available - excellent news!

I chose the traditional Vegetarian (mushroom, capsicum, onion & olives) with Vegan Cheese & Pepperoni. Unfortunately we had a little accident with the pizza box on the way home, so it got a bit messed up - still tasted pretty good though. I liked, but didn't love, the pepperoni - in terms of vegan-friendly pizza in the West, I think Stefan's in Altona is slightly tastier, plus they have a much larger range of vegan pizzas advertised. Stefan's hours are quite limited though - only a few nights a week, so this could be our a backup when we have our rare cravings for pizza.


D chose the Margherita with Vegan Pepperoni & regular cheese. This looked great, but D wasn't a big fan of the pepperoni & said it definitely wasn't the best he's had.

For breakfast (well, lunch really, if I'm being honest) we felt like Scrambled Tofu, but alas, the tofu in the fridge was past its use-by date & not looking too healthy. I scoured the cupboards and the recipe books and came up with a yummy-sounding recipe for Spiced Banana Pancakes from Vegan Planet. The recipe was pretty straightforward & I ended up with quite a thick batter filled with chunky pieces of banana. Although I wasn't sure this would work being so thick, I decided to keep going without modification. The end result was thick & tasty pancakes, which we ate with Nuttelex & maple syrup. If I make these again I'll use extra soy milk to make a thinner batter - these were so thick some of them weren't cooked properly all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment