Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday baking - Sausage Rolls & more Vegetable Goodness

This morning started well - I met a girlfriend for breakfast at A Minor Place in Brunswick. This was only my second time there - my first was last weekend; I sense that this will become one of my regular haunts (if only it wasn't so far away!) I ordered Henry's White Beans again - just divine. The coffee was awesome this time too - definitely 5/5. Service also 5/5 - outstanding all round!

Being a long-weekend, today became my Sunday baking/cooking day. This week for my lunch I made the Quinoa, Chickpea & Tomato stew again - it was so yummy I've been thinking about it all weekend!

For D I made some Vegan Sausage Rolls, using this recipe. I used to make a variation of this recipe when I was vegetarian, using cottage cheese instead of silken tofu. When I became vegan I thought that was the end of sausage rolls for me. I remember that I once tried to replace the cottage cheese with firm tofu & the result wasn't very nice so I didn't try again. So I was really excited when I saw this recipe pop up on various blogs - such a simple thing to use silken tofu instead of cottage cheese - and so delicious!

Two of the things I got in my vegetable box last week were cauliflower & spinach (actually I think it was chard because it had red stalks, but I used it like I would spinach). I was going to make a cauliflower soup but then a colleague told me about a yummy Sri Lankan cauliflower dish that is super easy to make & ninja vegan. I didn't end up making the Sri Lankan dish, but the idea of it put me in the mood for something spicy and warm. I found a recipe for Spinach & Cauliflower Bhaji in Ulimate Recipes: Vegetarian. The recipe called for onion, cauliflower, spinach, tomatoes & a selection of spices - all things that were on my shelf - perfect!

I served mine with Pappadams because I couldn't be bothered cooking rice (I know, so lazy!) The end result was good, though extremely spicy - next time I think I'll reduce the 1 1/2tsp of cayenne pepper to 1/2tsp... To sum up, this was a quick, easy, tasty & healthy recipe - all my boxes were ticked. I have an informal rating system for my 'test' recipes, known as 'Could I serve this to my non-veg friends'? The answer in this case - a resounding YES!

On a unrelated point - according to BOM it's going to be 4 degrees here overnight, and that, in my opinion, is just stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment