Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday baking - Lemon Bars

Even though it's a long-weekend I still had the urge to do some Sunday baking. I caught up with a girlfriend at Camberwell market this morning (that place is truly crazy these days - I couldn't believe the number of people!). On my out of the market I saw a bag of fresh lemons for $2 - bargain! I snapped them up and on the train home started planning some lemony goodness for this afternoon (D hates lemon, but he's away this weekend - so it really was perfect timing).

I decided to try the Lemon Bars from The Joy of Vegan Baking - I love this book! All the recipes are easy & not one of them has failed me so far. I still haven't decided whether I will post recipes from cookbooks yet, but a tip from a librarian - Google is a wonderful research tool sometimes :-)

The first step was to make the shortbread crust for the bars.

Once the crust is firm you pour the lemon filling over the top & pop it back in the oven.

I made a couple of mistakes with this one - the pan I used was too big, which meant the bars turned out too thin (and difficult to get out of the pan). I also overcooked the filling a little, which resulted in some nice, but not pretty, chewy lemon edges. The bars do taste great, but I'm not sure if I'll make them again soon - there's too many other recipes from this book that I want to try first.

2 comments:

  1. I love The Joy of Vegan Baking, I would like to make everything out of it at least once! My mum also has a copy so she can bake for me when I visit & has made me these lemon bars before & I really liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great Vicki - I have never seen a cookbook which such consistently yummy (and easy) recipes!

    ReplyDelete