Sunday, June 27, 2010

Golden Anzac Bars

As if the Baked Pumpkin Risotto wasn't enough (& despite having skipped the gym), my sweet tooth took over on Friday night. So, even though it was 8pm I dug out the recipe books in search of a quick recipe to try out.

I can't remember where I found this recipe - it's part of my ever growing collection that I'll never get time to try. It looked easy & I had everything in the cupboard so I gave it a go. The bars were good - chewy and tasted just like the biscuits I remember from my childhood. For some reason, every time I have tried to bake Anzac biscuits, they just end up in a big blob on the tray - they taste great, but the presentation certainly isn't up to scratch. So these bars are a good solution for me. Next time I'll use a larger tin so they're a bit thinner & little more crunchy.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup dessicated coconut
  • 125g Nuttelex
  • 1/3 cup golden syrup
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp bi-carb soda
Preheat the oven to 180 & line a slice tin with baking paper. Mix the flour, oats & coconut in a large bowl. Melt the Nuttelex, syrup & sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Add the bi-carb soda, stir & set aside. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients & stir well. Spread the mix into the tin & smooth with the back of a spoon. Bake 20 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool 5 minutes, then remove from the tin & cut into bars.

1 comment:

  1. great idea - my anzacs often spread and join together so maybe I should just bake them in a pan like this

    ReplyDelete