Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Vegetable Medley with Quinoa

Yesterday I really needed to use up the last remaining vegetables in the fridge to make room for today's delivery. So I just chopped everything up - beans, carrots, onion & broccoli, then thought about what do with it all. I threw in a can of borlotti beans, a can of diced tomatoes & some herbs. I was going to serve this with pasta, but didn't think they would really go together, so I cooked up some red quinoa instead. When that was cooked, I stirred it through the vegetable mix.

The result? My Vegetable Medley with Quinoa - a perfectly serviceable meal, but not outstanding. D ate it all though, which is saying something, he doesn't normally finish my meals. Rather than an example of a recipe, this is more an example of this kind of meal - the kind thrown together after a long day at work using whatever is in the fridge - my favourite kind at the moment!

The vegetable box from Garden Organics came today, it contained:
  • Chard/Spinach (can anybody confirm this from the photo?)
  • Mixed salad greens
  • Broccoli
  • Parsnips
  • Carrots
  • Beetroot
  • Zucchini
  • Green Capsicum
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Beans
  • Jap Pumpkin
  • Onions
  • Potatoes
It's all so fresh and beautiful, I can't wait to dream up some new recipes. I'm particularly excited about the beetroot - I'll use that for either a beetroot dip (if I'm being healthy) or a beetroot chocolate cake (if I'm being naughty); and the brussel sprouts - D is English and HATES sprouts, so I'm looking forward to coming up with a way to serve these that he'll actually like :-)

2 comments:

  1. I thought brussel sprouts were gross until a month ago I was house sitting and needed to use up the left over vegies in the fridge. After searching for a few ideas, I steamed brussel sprouts and carrots then mixed them in with some slivered almonds that had been sauteing in Nuttelex for a few minutes. They were pretty yummy this way and nothing like the horrible overcooked ones I can recall trying to force down in my youth.

    BTW - Your vegie medley looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the brussel sprouts tip - sounds great!

    ReplyDelete