Monday, November 29, 2010

Beany Pasta


Only 2 days of Vegan Mofo to go. I let it go at the end of last week - just too tired & too busy...

In an attempt to clear out the old vegies in the fridge, I threw this pasta sauce together last night. I make variations of it all the time - sometimes using lentils or chickpeas instead of the kidney beans & always with a different variety of veg. This one turned out really well - I'm glad we have leftovers for tonight.Start by dicing your vegies - I used 1 onion, 1 celery stalk, 1 carrot, 1 zucchini & 1 cup of mushrooms. Cook the onion, celery & carrot in some olive oil with 1 clove of crushed garlic for about 7 mins, until they're nice & soft. Then add the zucchini & mushrooms & cook another couple of minutes.

Add 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of kidney beans (drained & rinsed), about 1TBS of balsamic vinegar, 2 tsp dry basil & salt/pepper to taste. Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, about 20mins, until thick & rich. Serve with the pasta of your choice (I used wholemeal spaghetti).

No comments:

Post a Comment