Thursday, November 18, 2010

Another stir-fry... ho hum

I had chopped up all the vegetables to make some kind of pasta dish on Monday night but changed my mind at the last minute & turned to my old recipe collection for inspiration. I was particularly looking for a way to use up asparagus & green beans. I found this simple recipe for stir-fried sesame vegetables. I normally make my stir-fries the same way, but I figured a little change couldn't hurt.
This is the recipe as I had it written down (no idea where it came from!), but I improvised with the ingredients I had on hand. I really enjoyed this meal - it's just a little different from my standard stir-fries. I think it was the asparagus that really made all the difference.

Stir fried sesame vegetables with rice
  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 cup long grain white rice (I used brown rice)
  • 1 TBS Nuttelex
  • 1 TBS sesame seeds
  • 1 TBS peanut oil
  • 225g fresh asparagus, trimmed & cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 large onion, sliced (I used green beans & zucchini instead)
  • 140g sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 TBS minced fresh ginger
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 2-3 TBS soy sauce, to taste (I used tamari)
  • 1/2 TBS sesame oil
In a saucepan combine stock, rice & Nuttelex. Cover & bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low & simmer for 20-25mins, until liquid is absorbed. (I used brown rice & found that the absorption method didn't work as well, so just keep an eye on it).

Place the sesame seeds in a small frypan & dry-fry them over a medium heat 3-4mins, until golden brown.

Heat peanut oil in a wok over med-high heat until very hot. Add vegetables, ginger & garlic. Stir-fry 4-5mins or until vegetables are tender but still crisp. Add soy sauce & cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat & stir in sesame oil & seeds. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment