Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fox Hotel, Collingwood


After reading about Cindy & Michael's first visit to this recently revamped pub in Collingwood I was hooked. Not only do they serve up multiple vegan options - they're interesting options. Then I read about their most recent visit & discovered they also have a rooftop beer garden & was desperate to visit. We finally made it on Monday night - after all, I need to gather subject matter if I'm to keep up with Vegan MoFo (that's my excuse & I'm sticking with it!).

It's worth noting what seemed to be an extensive beer menu - I saw at least 2 pages of international beers & there may have been more. I rarely drink these days, but when I do my beer of choice is Coopers Sparkling. D chose one of his current favourites - the Little Creatures Pale Ale.The prices here are on the high side for a pub (but definitely worth it), so we chose to share an entree - the Mushroom & Tofu Gyoza. They arrived quickly & were delicious. The mushrooms gave most of the flavour to the filling & I really liked the dipping sauce (it was based on soy sauce, but had something added). How do you split 5 gyoza between 2 hungry people? Well, I let D have 3 & I compensated by eating the green stuff.For his main, D chose the Whole Field Mushroom Lasagne with Three Cheeses. He really liked this but wished the lasagne serving had been bigger. Of course, with that cheesy sauce I couldn't taste it so can't give you much more detail on the flavours.There was a hiccup with my meal - I ordered the Thai Tofu Balls with Asian Coleslaw & Satay Sauce - but initially received the Marinated Tofu Steak with Wasabi Mayo. I'm not a fan of spicy food, so, even though it looked quite good, I did send it back. I have to say, the service was outstanding. I received my correct meal within 10 minutes & the staff let me know what was happening the whole time - big ticks!

This meal looks impressive - strangely there were a few spring rolls on the plate, but they tasted great, so I'm not complaining :-) The balls had a nice flavour & a perfect golden crunchy crust. They may have been a bit bland on their own, but with the satay sauce & salad this meal receives a gold star from me! If you're on the northside I highly recommend the Fox to you - friendly and attentive staff, efficient service, outstanding food and a fantastic vibe.

The Fox Hotel
351 Wellington St, Collingwood
Mon-Thur 3pm-late (kitchen 5-10pm); Fri-Sun 12pm-1am (kitchen 12-10pm)
http://thefoxhotel.com.au

9 comments:

  1. It all looks amazing! Happy MoFo'ing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird - on our recent visit we had an ordering problem with exactly the same dish. Glad you enjoyed this pub as much as we do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mushroom & Tofu Gyoza looks FABBO! It all does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny Cindy - it must be the cursed dish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy - I love Gyoza. Your post caught my attention because I'm using beer in my post today! Just watch out with the beer as not all beer is vegan (you probably knew that but it was news to us when we went vegan)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Emmy - we do know about alcohol not being vegan. We like these 2 beers because they are locally made, preservative free & 100% vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toby and I went once and thought it was pretty average, well the vegan options anyway. Maybe we should give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to try the dishes you had!

    Also, my favourite vegan booze: Mountain Goat Hightail Ale (and Steam Ale), Cooper's Pale Ale (or Sparkling Ale), Little Creature Pale Ale (James Squire is also vegan), gypsy pear cider, Coldstream cider, Neopleon Cider and Henry of Harcourt Cider.

    Vegan booze (but not hat good): koppaberg cider and Boag's.

    list: http://www.vnv.org.au/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=195&Itemid=133

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely give the Fox another chance - if you still don't like it then at least you can get good beer :-)

    D & I like the Mountain Goat Steam Ale as well Toby - we're so lucky to have a great range of vegan beers in Australia.

    ReplyDelete