Friday, November 5, 2010

Mum's scones

I've been eating these scones ever since I can remember - it's my Mum's recipe & it seems like she used to make them at least once a week (but it was probably more like once a month). Then I grew up and started making scones myself. And then I became vegan, but that was OK because the recipe was easily veganisable.

This time I made them for breakfast - they only take about 30min from prep to eating.The photo makes it seem like there are tons of the things - but I used a small cutter (5cm I think) so they're really more like mini scones.

Mum's Scones
  • 3 cups SR flour
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 3 TBS Nuttelex, cold
  • 1 ½ cups soy milk
Preheat oven to 210C & grease or line an oven tray.

Combine the flour & salt in a large bowl, then rub the Nuttelex in with your fingertips until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add milk & mix until it just comes together.

Turn dough onto a floured board & pat out until 1-2 inches high (don't overwork the dough). Use a floured scone cutter or glass to cut out the scones. Place them onto the tray with edges touching & brush the tops with a little extra soy milk. Bake 10-15mins until golden & they sound hollow when tapped on the top.

I know there are lots of ways to customise scones but I pretty much just leave the recipe alone - after all, I know it works!My toppings of choice are jam (this is Raspberry) & Nuttlex with Marmite. D thinks putting marmite on them is disgusting but I really like it and no matter what he says I don't think I'm crazy :-)We had a few scones left over after breakfast, so they served as afternoon tea as well. This is raspberry jam again with some Soyatoo Whipped Cream. I haven't had the cream before & I don't really like it - too much of a soy flavour for me. I definitely wouldn't serve it to a non-vegan.

4 comments:

  1. ha I tried soyatoo last year and I was actually thinking that eating soyatoo on scones was crazier than eating marminte on them - but I love promite on scones and am not much of a fan of any cream - but soyatoo was disgusting (although E liked it). Love plain scones - they are what I grew up with too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I was trying to recreate the 'high tea' experience of scones with jam & cream - I didn't realise soyatoo wasn't quite right though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Soyatoo has to be one of the most disgusting vegan products I've ever had. Everything about it was awful. I thought Kingland Cream Cheese was right up there as number 1 but this really took the top spot. Baffles my mind why Kingland Soy Mayo (the most delicious mayo ever) was taken off the market but they keep selling this disgusting stuff. Gives vegans a bad name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the Kingland Cream Cheese - it makes me gag. My other least favourite vegan substitute is tofutti cheese slices - yuk!

    ReplyDelete