Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Daylesford delights


D & I headed off very early Saturday morning to have breakfast in Daylesford. I was looking forward to visiting Himalaya Bakery again after a year or so away. Unfortunately they're closed at the moment & I was devastated. Our stomachs wouldn't stop rumbling though, so we had to keep up the search for food.I remembered a nice meal at Frangos & Frangos, but that must have been lunch because when we looked at their breakfast menu there wasn't anything particularly veganisable on it. In the end we trudged back down the hill to Harvest Cafe. This is an organic cafe and grocer and we had eaten there before but remembered it being quite average.

This time we were pleasantly surprised. We were told on arrival there would be a long wait so we nabbed ourselves a table by the window & settled in. I'm glad we decided to wait because the food was great! I ordered the Vegan Scrambled Tofu, which came with spinach, capsicum & olives. It was flavoured quite simply but perfectly (with tamari I think). I thought the side-salad was a bit strange on a breakfast plate but I was so hungry I ate it all anyway. The kalamata olives were also quite overpowering and are probably more suited to a lunch or dinner-style scrambled tofu. The toast was delicious & they even gave me Nuttelex!D ordered the Vegetarian Omelet, which had cheese, spinach, mushroom & tomato inside. His also came with a side salad (which he didn't eat). He said the omelet was quite tasty - definitely better than last time.As you can see from the photos the serving sizes are large - just the thing to satisfy a big appetite after an 1.5 hour drive. The prices are around mid-range, but since the cafe is organic, I actually think are quite reasonable. The staff are friendly and it's also a handy place to go if you need to pick up some vegan goodies on the way out from the grocery store. The only thing they could probably do better is the coffee - mine was OK but D couldn't finish his.

After breakfast the weather had turned gorgeous so we took a stroll around the lake where I saw this very cute duck.I think ducks are probably my favourite animal - isn't it beautiful!

Harvest Cafe
29 Albert St, Daylesford
Mon-Sat 8:30am-5:30pm; Sun 8:30am-4pm
http://harvestcafe.net.au

5 comments:

  1. Looking yummy, did you stop at the chocolate mill while in the area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't go to the chocolate mill this time. Last time we went there the service was so rude we don't really want to go back (even though the chocolate is truly amazing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember really liking the mix of flavours - from memory there was also small pieces of either fresh or preserved lemon.

    Then again, it was indeed lunch time when I tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://veganmofo.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/its-called-vegan-mofo-for-a-reason/

    Hey, it's great you are participating, but I think most people would prefer not to see the eggie stuff. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had it with the preserved lemon in the past too Joanne, but the description on the menu has changed now to tamari, spinach & olives I think (it's different from the website menu & I can't remember exactly).

    Sorry if I have offended bitt, but my partner is vegetarian, not vegan, (and a big part of my real life & blogging life) - and the main point of the post is finding vegan food in Daylesford.

    ReplyDelete